Installation of Kafkawize Community Edition
Kafkawize is a web application to administrate and enforce Governance in a Kafka environment with Self-service, security and automation features.
In this post, we will install community edition (Windows & Linux envs) of Kafkawize. Here is the code available on Git.
Download the software
- Download the software from https://kafkawize.com/download
- You will receive an email with a link to download, together with a license key expiring in 2023
- Click the download link from mail and download the package
- Unzip the package to a file system
- Update the license key in \kafkawize-communityedition-4.5.2\conf\application_kafkawize.properties for property kafkawize.license.key
- Leave the other property kafkawize.org.name=MyOrganization unchanged
- Metastore is configured by default to a filesystem directory spring.datasource.url=jdbc:h2:file …
- To change the metastore to an rdbms like MySql or Postgres, sample configuration is available in the same file application_kafkawize.properties. Uncomment those properties
- Go to \kafkawize-communityedition-4.5.2\bin directory
- If Windows : run start-kafkawize.bat batch file
- If Linux/Unix/Mac : run start-kafkawize.sh shell script
- This would start 2 Java processes. UI Api application and Cluster Management application.
- Check the logs kw-uiapi.log and kw-clusterapi.log if applications are started or grep for the processes
Access the application
- Access the portal at http://localhost:9097/kafkawize
- Login with user username : gary and password: user
- Other configured users can be found in the script in \kafkawize-communityedition-4.5.2\dbscripts\rdbms\insertdata.sql
- To configure clusters or users, corresponding menus are available.
Full documentation is available at https://kafkawize.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
To run Kafkawize on Docker, simply create docker compose files from https://kafkawize.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docker.html
You can also create docker images with the below Dockerfile for example :
RUN mkdir /opt/app
COPY japp.jar /opt/app
CMD ["java", "-jar", "/opt/app/japp.jar"]
To know more about the Professional version, here are few videos : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP9lIqI_cSE5yCvM6NZtUjZJF5a1wwHB2
Pro version :
To request for a demo of the Pro version : https://kafkawize.com/request-for-demo/
If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com or ContactUs